Re: THE POSTING BLUES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 05:09:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
People just don't reply.  We all agree that we're all guilty of it.  I try to
reply, I honestly do, but it just never gets done.  And it's no excuse.

Agreed :)  It is a lot easier to read than post.  Let's make it a group
effort to do something about it, but as we all known, apathy is very
strong these days ...

Lenny, I've viewed most of your creations and I'd like to say I'm sorry I've
never said anything yet.  You've done some great stuff, and I'd also like to
say that you don't really need to do the grandiose things to get noticed.  Too
many people are under the impression bigger is better.  I don't believe its
true.  I've done most of my best work when I had but a few parts to work with.

Yes.  My favorite example that I like to point to is Eric K's church:

http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=862

In this post, it was decided that bigger is not better :)  Detailed is just as
good.  Or photoshoped :)  People appreciate any of the three ...

But there's something else that I cannot let slip past my posts any longer.  It
seems that far too often now, here, in .castle, the best place on lugnet,
people are getting looked over and ignored, or at least not replied to, FAR too
often.  Why?  Because of the Isle of Mist.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the
idea.  But frankly, I'm sick and tired of opening up .castle and seeing
adendums to already written work to tell of another day's deed in the IOM.  In
fact, because of the constant posts, I'm getting rather fed up with the whole
IOM itself.  Maybe my character should be the first fatality on the island just
to wash my hands of it.  People, what's wrong with simply emailing it off to
the IOM administrators and have them post it?  If people actually WANT to look
at IOM stuff, they will see it there.  Maybe even have the IOM admin have a
once a week post stating all thats been updated (even though they put a UPDATES
PAGE on their site for a gall darn reason).

Ok ... here is where I feel that I can say a few things :)  Anyone else - feel
free to add to this:

1)  One can read lugnet.castle without it's subgroups:

http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=,-20&v=c

2)  We need to encourage people to post properly - don't post something that is
IOM related to .castle - put it in lugnet.castle.org.cw.  We need to elimininate
cross-posting.  Cross-post only if you have an original creation?  I suppose
this needs more discussion.  Thoughts?

3)  I, for one, really enjoy reading what people are coming up with.  There
is a lot of storytelling talent in this group, and I get a lot of ideas from
others.  I think  people are being very creative and one is pushing the other.
We all need someone to  push us, and this just adds a time aspect to it :)
Lugnet.castle.org.cw exists so people CAN post their stories, creations,
and thoughts there.  The problem isn't the updates - it's the fact that they
aren't in the right place, and yes,  we need to work on that.

So bottom line - the CW subgroup exists for people to send their updates to,
and it really makes our (Chris and I for now) job easier when people post.

There are people in .castle, and I won't name names, but you KNOW who you are,
who ONLY read IOM stuff and completely look over anything that doesn't have to
do with the IOM.

But that's ok :)  That's why the subgroup exists.  It's the people's right
to read some things and not others.  I don't read .trains for example ...
I actually ONLY read .castle and .market.shopping.

People post to .castle to get feedback and/or attention.
Whether it is to get their ego stroked (guilty) or just to be seen, there isn't
ANYONE on lugnet who doesn't post to get at least a little visibility.  If they
didn't want any attention, they wouldn't post, its a simple as that, they'd
just update their site and hope people would notice on their own.  I, for one,
at least honor the people who post to .castle by going and reading their post,
and going to wherever their creation is.  Even if I don't post a reply, I at
least give them that.

I think most of us read all of .castle.  I highlight what needs to be
highlighted, and try to reply to everything that I have time for.  I'm sure
others do the same.

As for everything else, flame away.  I've spoken my peace.

Please - you said yourself we are the friendliest group on lugnet :)  I am
glad you said what was on your mind - someone was bound to sooner or later,
and  it might as well be handeled in an open-minded manner.

-- Pawel