 Castle / 10844
Re: The Posting Blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 06:28:18 GMT

N.B. I have set the follow-ups to castle, not org.cw. This is because the
content has impact on the structure and direction of the castle group as a
whole, not just those who do (or don't) like CW.

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
People just don't reply.  We all agree that we're all guilty of it.  I try to
reply, I honestly do, but it just never gets done.  And it's no excuse.
Agreed :)  It is a lot easier to read than post.  Let's make it a group
effort to do something about it, but as we all known, apathy is very
strong these days ...

Lenny, I've viewed most of your creations and I'd like to say I'm sorry I've
never said anything yet.  You've done some great stuff.

In this post, it was decided that bigger is not better :)  Detailed is just as
good.  Or photoshoped :)  People appreciate any of the three ...

Apathy? Perhaps in part. .Castle (and sometimes .castle.org.cw) are
consistently in the the top ten traffic areas per week, assuming not much
else is going on. Reading takes a lot of time. The other thing to not is
many of us don't have a lot to say. I read almost all the messages and visit
almost all the links but reply only when I have something important to add
to the converstation topic. I don't consider a "Wow, cool!" post as adding
much. Nice as it is to have someone endorse my own work if I don't get a
response I don't take it as a personal affront, nor as a rejection of my
work. Occasionally I'll get e-mail replies which, of course, don't show up
here. Further, I know I haven't done much either. I don't have a lot on my
site and I have few pictures (with spiffy editing or otherwise), so there
isn't much for people to wow me about, and I'm correspondingly less inclined
to "wow,cool" people. Perhaps it's not such a case of "Bigger is better" but
"content is better".

But there's something else that I cannot let slip past my posts any longer.  >>It seems that far too often now, here, in .castle, the best place on lugnet,
people are getting looked over and ignored, or at least not replied to, FAR >>too often.  Why?  Because of the Isle of Mist.  Don't get me wrong.  I love >>the idea.  But frankly, I'm sick and tired of opening up .castle and seeing
adendums to already written work to tell of another day's deed in the IOM.  >>In fact, because of the constant posts, I'm getting rather fed up with the >>whole IOM itself.

Fair enough, IoM is taking a lot of bandwidth. You just need to check the
traffic stats. org.cw. accounts for all but a handful (read fiveish) of
posts in the last week. If castle world wasn't around castle would be a lot
slower and people could (perhaps) respond more easily.

People, what's wrong with simply emailing it off to
the IOM administrators and have them post it?  If people actually WANT to >>look at IOM stuff, they will see it there.  Maybe even have the IOM admin >>have a once a week post stating all thats been updated (even though they put >>a UPDATES PAGE on their site for a gall darn reason).
People post to .castle to get feedback and/or attention.
Whether it is to get their ego stroked (guilty) or just to be seen, there >>isn't ANYONE on lugnet who doesn't post to get at least a little >>visibility.  If they didn't want any attention, they wouldn't post, its a >>simple as that, they'd just update their site and hope people would notice >>on their own.  I, for one, at least honor the people who post to .castle by >>going and reading their post, and going to wherever their creation is.  Even >>if I don't post a reply, I at least give them that.

You've answered your own question here. People don't just email the CWadmins
because they want readership, if not recognition.

Ok ... here is where I feel that I can say a few things :)  Anyone else - feel
free to add to this:
1)  One can read lugnet.castle without it's subgroups:
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=,-20&v=c

Unfortunatly, no. If it was .org.castle.cw then the messages would be in a
different newsgroup tree. As it is .castle includes EVERYTHING that starts
with .castle, including .castle.org and .castle,org.cw

If you recall the debates about the formation of CW and it's attendant
newsgroup Todd decided that it should be this way to keep Themes and
User-groups properly partitioned. People agreed saying that they did NOT
want to go to two different places to get information.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider this?

2)  We need to encourage people to post properly - don't post something that >is IOM related to .castle - put it in lugnet.castle.org.cw.  We need to
elimininate cross-posting.  Cross-post only if you have an original >creation?  I suppose this needs more discussion.  Thoughts?

See the point above, cross posting isn't the problem.

However. Most people are good enough to start the subject of a IoM (or even
CW) post with the IoM: or CW: tag. We should encourage this, despite the
post seeming to appear in another group entirely. Then, for those who don't
want "daily updates" they can just skip all such marked posts.

3)  I, for one, really enjoy reading what people are coming up with.  There
is a lot of storytelling talent in this group, and I get a lot of ideas from
others.  I think  people are being very creative and one is pushing the other.

And once stories are out there, then community can grow when others read and
then collaborate.

There are people in .castle, and I won't name names, but you KNOW who you >>are,who ONLY read IOM stuff and completely look over anything that doesn't >>have to do with the IOM.

That's going a bit over the top. As pointed out about, there hasn't been
much lately that isn't IoM

But that's ok :)  That's why the subgroup exists.  It's the people's right
to read some things and not others.

As for everything else, flame away.  I've spoken my peace.

Please - you said yourself we are the friendliest group on lugnet :)  I am
glad you said what was on your mind - someone was bound to sooner or later,
and  it might as well be handled in an open-minded manner

Friendly may be a function of two things. One, the number of posts and two
the amount of "storytelling" that goes on. After all, who really feels part
of the .shopping group or .market? There is nothing said previously that
merits flamming and all opinions should be valued. On the other hand
community is not about individuals and invariably involves compromise in
terms of what goes on. Thank you to the people in this thread for voicing
your valued opinion, let's work togther to see how we can make our group
even better.

James (who feels he has content to add)