 Castle / 8828
Re: Middle Earth Ramblings (loooong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 15:25:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bill Jackson writes:

Wizards:  Well, we're out of luck here with the current colors of the wizard
hats.  Gandalf was a Grey wizard before reincarnation and a White one
afterwards.  Saruman's title is "of Many Colors", so no luck there.
Radagast is a Brown Wizard.  There are two other wizards but I haven't heard
too much about them.  Anyways, it would be easy enough to paint a Majisto
Brown, White, and Silver or Chrome for Saruman.  I'll probably use the
space-themed Ice Planet old man head for Gandalf, as the huge eyebrows fit him.

Radagast would probably work better with wolfpack torso, brown legs, brown
Star Wars cowl and cape.  Reverse the torso and switch the arms around if
you don't like the wolfpack symbol.  For Gandalf, the gray peasant torso,
find some gray arms (I suppose they are available, but I haven't thought
about it), gray legs, and if I recall, his pointy hat was blue.  Batlord
grey cloak on the blank side?  Saruman/Gandalf in the white mode would
require some painting.  The other two wizards are blue, I believe, but
that's just about all that's known about them.

Orcs:  Thinking about using the Bull shields for them, as it suits them
well.  I'll either use the trans-green heads from the old Alien sets or the
Jar-Jar Binks heads for the orcs.  I think the trans-green would be more
realistic, and it looks like an orcish green when put in a helm.  For the
Black Orcs, I could again use the black Alien head.  They'll probably wear
the dragonmasters Centurion helms, as they look best, I think.  Also,
instead of riding horses, I'll probably mount them on the backs of those
orange Star Wars creatures, though not many orcs ride.

Where are Lego wolves when we need 'em?

The mummy head wouldn't work too bad as an orc.

Khand, Harad, and all of them:  All of the races of the south that are
barely mentioned in LOTR will wear a tan, brown, black, and red motif, and
will probably use the Dragon Masters shields and flags.  I don't know how to
make elephants for them, so I'll probably end up using the grey Triceratops
from Adventurers, though it isn't big enough to have a howdah on its back.

We covered this not too long ago, caused by my experiment with a Triceratops
with a howdah:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ladygamer/photos/howdahfinal.jpg

I think the string was "Hannibal crossing the alps on a triceratops".
There's some connections to various elephants.

Hobbits and Dwarves:  No idea, but Dwarves will use the Majisto beard and
grey Halberds with the bottoms cut off.

The Adventurers' pick is perfect for dwarves.  I remove the standard legs
and just give 'em 1x1s for legs (round or square both work).  A don't have a
clue about hobbits.

Riders of Rohan:  Brown spears, brown horses, grey armor and visor
helms--standard knights.

Ahhhh, no plate!  These should be more Norman-like.  Most of what Tolkien
describes is vaguely 11th century for them - they are poorer and rougher
than those fancy-pants Gondorians.  Scale armor and nasaled helms would do
them well.  I recall that their shields were round, green, with a white
horse emblem.  With the dearth of round shields, the kite shield would work
best.

Gondor and such:  A more holy look and feel than the Riders of Rohan--white
horses and flags--they'll probably use the Royal Knight shields.

Silver and black for the guards.  The good guys were fond of white, blues
and greens, the bad guys were hung up on blacks and reds.  Think cliche
allegorical and you can't go too far wrong.

You realize now I have to read LOTR for the umpteenth time to get all this
stuff right!  :-)

Good luck with your project!

Bruce