 Castle / 8814
Re: Middle Earth Ramblings (loooong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 02:11:11 GMT

Being a HUGE Tolkien fan, I'd like to provide some input.

*Please note that I favour John Howe's paintings of Tolkien's work the most,
so I will give links to his paintings.

Check out more LOTR, Silmarillion, and Hobbit paintings/drawings over at:
http://fan.theonering.net/rolozo/

In lugnet.castle, Bill Jackson writes:
As some of you might know, I just came out of my Dark Ages.  As my post-Dark
Ages masterpiece, I'm going to build a replica of J.R.R Tolkien's Middle
Earth, very very microfig-style.  However, I want to build Barad-Dur
(Sauron's MASSIVE tower in Mordor) and Rivendell (Elrond's home in Mirkwood)
in minifig-style.  I'd like to know how some of you would handle recreating
Middle Earth's races with LEGO minifigs.  Here's some of my ideas:

Nitpick: Rivendell (A.K.A. Imladris, The Last Homely House) is actually on
the West foothills of the Misty Mountains.

Wizards:  Well, we're out of luck here with the current colors of the wizard
hats.  Gandalf was a Grey wizard before reincarnation and a White one
afterwards.  Saruman's title is "of Many Colors", so no luck there.
Radagast is a Brown Wizard.  There are two other wizards but I haven't heard
too much about them.  Anyways, it would be easy enough to paint a Majisto
Brown, White, and Silver or Chrome for Saruman.  I'll probably use the
space-themed Ice Planet old man head for Gandalf, as the huge eyebrows fit

him.

Also remember that Gandalf most likely also wears some sort of robe/cloak.

Reference:
http://fan.theonering.net/rolozo/images/howe/gandalf.jpg

Dragons:  Though there were virtually no dragons in Middle Earth near Lord
of the Rings, I want a full Middle-Earth environment here, not one from one
particular time period.  Normal Lego dragons won't work here, I'm afraid, as
Middle Earth's dragons are massive and crazy.  I'll build Ancalagon the
Black out of black, obviously, using the stickers from the old Aqua-Raiders
sets as perfect eyes.  If I get around to it, Smaug will be made from red
bricks with an underside of painted gold bricks.  I don't really have an
interest in making Glaudrung--two dragons are enough work.

Before you even start thinking about building LEGO dragons, check out these
two fine masterpieces:
Anthony Sava's "Tel'Karak Zrahl":
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/BlackDragon/dragon.html
Pawel Nazarewicz's "War":
http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/verneer-chronicles/dragon/new/10.html

Orcs:  Thinking about using the Bull shields for them, as it suits them
well.  I'll either use the trans-green heads from the old Alien sets or the
Jar-Jar Binks heads for the orcs.  I think the trans-green would be more
realistic, and it looks like an orcish green when put in a helm.  For the
Black Orcs, I could again use the black Alien head.  They'll probably wear
the dragonmasters Centurion helms, as they look best, I think.  Also,
instead of riding horses, I'll probably mount them on the backs of those
orange Star Wars creatures, though not many orcs ride.

Sounds good!