 Castle / 7392
Re: Top 8 ways to get out of a slump ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:46:49 GMT

John Carroll wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:

6)  Think Small.  Start with a character and then think of what crazy stuff
happens to them.  Before you know it, they need an enemy, a friend, a
setting (forest, castle, etc), and you are on your way.

think small:  I've been trying to build a Large, Minifig scale Mech and have
not been successful.  so yesterday after seeing the grey and blue 8 legged
mech (and it's black and yellow cosin) sorry I don't remember who built it.
I decieded to try again but instead I was just going to build a small
powered armor mech.  well many bricks and a few hours later I had a rather
successful mech (the powered armor idea went out the windw when I finished
the firs leg and decieded that it was a real good leg but too big for a
powered armor.  It is approx 9 times as tall as a a minifig)  I am 95% happy
with the legs 50% happy with the hips/lower torso 70% happy with the upper
torso and head and I haen't built the arms yet (I ran out of bricks had to
run to brickbay to purchase more click hinges and slopes)

this is an example of at least 2 ways to get out of a rut.  the first grows
from think small. the best way to get out of a rut is to build.  and it is
easier to start something small than something big.  second lugnet is a
great way to get inspired what ever your particular LEGO theme addition. (or
to start a new theme addition)

I was having a temporary builder's block last night - not the kind of month-long
slump that we've been discussing here, but an inability to make what I wantedto
build (oddly enough, a minifig-scale mech) come out right.  I had some parts
joined together in an interesting way but not much else.  It turns out I had
something else niggling at the back of my mind (part of the Goblin Mobile War
Fortress that I'm working on) and after I built that, I was able to come back to
the other model and see some possibilities that I hadn't seen before.

Now my problem is, I have *two* ideas and only the parts to pursue one of them...