 Castle / 4568
Re: What do peasants carry around in your town?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 02:26:38 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Karl Martinson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Chris Gray writes:
"Jeff Johnston" <sakura@mediaone.net> writes:

Well, they're easier to make than a crossbow, certainly - and cheaper.
Crossbows are probably easier to hit things with, but they're big and
heavy and not something you'd want to carry around all day.

I'm just wondering why a villager would carry around a crossbow? First,
they're way out their price range, and second, they're too complicated. A bow
is pretty easy to make, and is free. Crossbows were pretty much used in the
military. Jeff is right

Whoops, i mean Chris is right

, a longbow has much greater accuracy than a crossbow.
At the time, crossbows were the brutes of projectile weapons. They're good for
punching through armour, and knocking people off horses, but it takes a long
time to fire one. When compared to bows, it's like comparing modern guns with
a musket. A crossbow needs to be reloaded, the tension needs to be checked,
has to be cocked...while with a bow, you just nock the arrow, pull back,
release. [1]

<<KM>>
[1] wow - it really sounds like I know what I'm talking about! I even
surprised myself. This is just info that i've pieced together from various
sources, and stories.