 Castle / 4565
Re: What do peasants carry around in your town?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 01:35:43 GMT

"Jeff Johnston" <sakura@mediaone.net> writes:

Well, they're easier to make than a crossbow, certainly - and cheaper.
Crossbows are probably easier to hit things with, but they're big and
heavy and not something you'd want to carry around all day.

Actually, I believe the accuracy of longbows is much greater than that
of crossbows. Crossbows are kind of crude and brute force - no finesse.
However, because they have much more force (the bolts are heavy), they
are used to penetrate armour. A standard arrow from a heavy longbow can
penetrate armour, too, but it takes a much more skilled person to
accomplish that. Regular shortbows are good for hunting rabbits, but
don't compare in killing power. [Note: I'm not an expert on archery,
but these are my recollections from various discussions/reading.]

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/