 Castle / 3191
Re: Cedric was: 2000 catalog page 16
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:24:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, Nathan McDowell writes:
According to the LEGO Castle page's shockwave movie thing-a-ma-jig, the Bull
Leader's name is Cedric.

Cedric? Now where is that name familiar from...
Ah, I know... this book called "Time Cat" mentions a Cerdic Longtooth, leader
of the Britons around 55 BC...the book is fiction but has lots of RL
references, like Leonardo Da-Vinci. I wonder if there's any connection, or did
TLC just randomly name the guy?

Cedric is a trusty old Anglo-Saxon name but it sounds fictional in 55 BC. Maybe
this Cedric was time traveling?

55 BC was when Caesar was in Britannia concluding his miserable expedition.
The relevant books are available in Penguin editions (Penguins rock!) The
Romans made ghastly Latin versions of the Briton's names, like "Cassivelaunus"
and "Mandubracius", "Allobroges" and "Trinobantes" and "Atrebates". Caesar left
with his army in 54 BC, undefeated, but they had had enough, and Romans weren't
back adventuring in Britannia for 150 years.

Anyway, all of the Lego castle themes look like later time periods, and of
course they are all fictional, because that way they can have all the cool
stuff.

It's possible that I might make a reference page on the history of types of
catapults.  Not to take the fun out of firing things, but, it would be for us
who are curious about making historical themes.