 Castle / 18111
Re: forum opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:16:11 GMT

I totally agree with Jason on this.

In the end, I -- and probably many, many people besides myself -- just don’t have the time to visit all the many forums that are popping up. I pretty much gave up RTL for Lugnet. I try to occasionally read the Bricklink forums because it’s ultimately a better place to get your bricks than is Lugnet and I am also interested in market factors and collectability issues. I have never gone to a bionickles site. I do not frequent FBTB, or whatever it is. I don’t want to bookmark these other sites because I won’t end up going there regularly anyway. Here on lugnet I tend to visit off-topic (for debate and clones), castle, and sometimes CAD and space too. I might do a couple of pages off the main news page too. And then there’s all those damn people posting MOCs on Brickshelf but not announcing them here. Or they do announce them, but only with links to an unmodded folder and then it just escapes into oblivion.

I already have to consider very carefully how I use my time, and Lugnet and other such places are actually something akin to timekillers in between doing other things -- like a break around the watercooler kind of thing. In the past I often browsed Lugnet from places outside my home, literally killing time while a date finished getting dressed or something. I don’t actively seek to have more sites on my plate. If it gets much worse, and the community fragments even further, just getting the word out about something will become an excessive timesuck.

Interestingly, I have seen people start posting MOC announcements at Bricklink. And while it’s not the reason I like Lugnet, it’s pretty obvious that one of the early “glues” cementing the online brick community was the simple need to acquire. For a long time, Lugnet was a better place for that than anywhere else except maybe eBay. With the advent of Bricklink, one needs the buy/sell/trade aspect of lugnet less and less. Now we are here mainly for the conversation.

To my mind, unless the community tries to consolidate a little more -- thereby saving time and resources -- I think we shall ultimately fragment into cacophony. In a way, it has already begun...the ultimate compartmentalized geek catastrophe, brick-style!

-- Hop-Frog