 Castle / 18098
Re: forum opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:03:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
Hey all,

I've been wondering about the forum here versus that at classic-castle.com.  Do
you think it's better to post at one place, the other, or both.  For the last
couple of days I've been trying to post there, because I think if that forum is
going to take off it will take some critical mass of posting.  So, for instance,
Anthony posted on his fall foliage in both places, and I commented there, but
should I also comment here?  On the one hand, double posting seems silly ( • except
for announcing new MOCs, which I tend to do in any relevant forum).  Posting
there is good for helping that forum become more viable, but in the meantime
there are only a small number of people there, so posting here generates greater
discussion.

I'm going to do this piecemeal, though I'll still try to view the post on a
whole.

I don't think double posting is necessary, simply because if you, the
individual, has said something in reply to a post, then you've said what you've
needed to say.  Posting MOCs is fine to double post to get more traffic, but
when I post things to FBTB, I don't expect the people from Lugnet who also check
FBTB to reply to both of my posts.

What is the ultimate desire for classic-castle.com forums?  Do we forsee these
forums becoming a mirror of the .castle forum, a replacement, or serving a
different audience?  Or will we ultimately have the same people following
different threads in the two different places?  What do you guys think?

It was never my intention (I can only speak for myself) for the
classic-castle.com forums to replace the Lugnet.castle forum.  You'll notice
that the 'community' menu of c-c has the Lugnet castle forum on top.  I view
.castle as a very viable and important piece of the castle community.

While creating c-c, the admins had a rather lengthy discussion on the idea of
Forums.  Quite a few of them were against it, saying that Lugnet.Castle was all
we needed.  But as Troy pointed out in that discussion, websites like FBTB and
BZPower became as popular as they are partially, if not more so, because of
their forums.  There are people in the world that really hate posting on Lugnet
for whatever reason, and as much as we'd like to think otherwise, Lugnet isn't
quite at the center of the LEGO Fan Universe (IMO, it's near the center, but is
not *THE* center).

The Classic-Castle.com forums were designed to attract the younger audience that
prefers that forum style (it seems all the younger LEGO users I've talked to
prefer the ezboard-esque style FAR above the Lugnet style) as well as those
people who just don't feel like going through the multi-day process to become a
Lugnet member.

The C-C forums also were designed to attract attention from Lugnet.Castle, I
won't deny it, but not to the end of removing activity from Lugnet.Castle, just
as another place to show off one's creations and opinions.

As a comparison, I think the fbtb forums are actually much more viable than the
lugnet .starwars forum for Star Wars LEGO discussion.  Most of the people who
read .starwars also read fbtb, but there are lots and lots of people at fbtb who
never read lugnet.  Of course there are differences--e.g. fbtb probably skews
younger, though there is certainly a significant percentage of 20-somethings and
several 30-plus-ers like myself.  But for real news of the Star Wars line and
also for discussion of cool MOCs, fbtb is the place.  Is that our ultimate
desire for classic-castles.com?  Does it hurt the AFOL community to break off
into themed communities like this, or is the community richer for a variety of
forums?  There is certainly very little communication between us on lugnet and
the bionicle fans on Bionicle Zone (or is it BZPower?), and also very little
traffic in the lugnet technic.bionicle forum.  Of course there are other reasons
for that (mostly in that Bionicle skews much younger, and most AFOLs are averse
to Bionicle).

Well, for good or bad, Lugnet is fragmenting anyway.  The german-only crowd has
already given up this english forum for 1000steine, and the spacers have already
practically walled off Lugnet.Space from the rest of the world ;), as well as
creating several new websites for the space community.  The Ezboard style does
attract a younger audience, but I think we were fragmented to begin with.  I
mean, Lugnet has less registered members than BZPower, and the FBTB forum is
rather huge in it's own right (It's only one theme!).  Granted, BZPower has
attracted the younger crowd because of Bionicle, and I'm sure there are a lot of
FBTB people who were just Star Wars junkies before LEGO Star wars, but still,
you can see my point.  There are a lot of people out there who don't use Lugnet.

One other thing I'd point out is that the C-C forums allow for people who are
interested in only one aspect in castle to filter out all the other things.
Those who are interested in MOCs and not stories, for example, need not worry
about being hit by new story posts in the C-C Castle Moc forum (not that it's a
real problem on Lugnet, but I know people who complain).

Also, how do you feel about your personal habits?  I have been reading two
forums, FBTB and Lugnet, as well as scanning through Brickshelf.  Do I add a
third LEGO forum to that?  Or does one of them ultimately fall by the wayside?
What other large forums are there--Bionicle Zone, Brickfilms, 1000Steine.de
(German language), Bricklink.  Any others?  (Does L-Draw.org have a forum?  How
about ILTCO?)  Is it possible to follow all these different forums?  Or is it
better to stick with Lugnet where we'll see more cross-pollination between
themes?

Okay, I'll stop babbling now.  I would really like your thoughts on this.

Bruce

P.S.  I would also post this on classic-castle, but I'm not sure what forum to
put it in.

Personally my habits have been to check FBTB, Lugnet and now C-C on a regular
basis.  I don't use a news reader, so that option with Lugnet is worthless to
me.  I'm a graphic learner, so I like graphic interfaces.  I mean, unless you're
really in a hurry, how much longer does it take to scan one more forum if you
have it pre-bookmarked and you don't have to go searching?

In the end it will be up to the individual to decide about the C-C forums.  If
they don't like it, that's fine.  If they love it, that's fine too.  As long as
there are people viewing the forum, the forum will remain active.  And as long
as at least one person views a post I make to the C-C forums that I want to be
seen, I'll continue posting there.

The Classic-Castle forums, despite what some may think, were not designed to
take away from Lugnet.Castle.  Rather, the C-C website on a whole was designed
to, at least partially, reenergize the Castle Community, and bring more people
into the discussion.  The Forums are there, I think, to do just that.

I'm not sure if anything I've written has made sense, I just woke up from a nap
after all, but I hope it did.

Oh, and as for where to have put this post, Bruce, I think it wasn't necessary
to post it at C-C.  After all, this was a post concerning Lugnet and the Lugnet
users. But that's my view on it.

And of course, all the above gibberish is just... my opinion.

--Anthony
Webmaster - Classic-Castle.com