 Castle / 18097
Re: forum opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:35:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

   As a comparison, I think the fbtb forums are actually much more viable than the lugnet .starwars forum for Star Wars LEGO discussion. Most of the people who read .starwars also read fbtb, but there are lots and lots of people at fbtb who never read lugnet. Of course there are differences--e.g. fbtb probably skews younger, though there is certainly a significant percentage of 20-somethings and several 30-plus-ers like myself. But for real news of the Star Wars line and also for discussion of cool MOCs, fbtb is the place. Is that our ultimate desire for classic-castles.com? Does it hurt the AFOL community to break off into themed communities like this, or is the community richer for a variety of forums?

Actually, the .starwars forum used to have quite a bit of traffic, but FBTB forum kinda killed it. I still read .starwars and never read the FBTB forum. I think that those kinds of forums are bad for the community personally. They spilt it up. Plus not being able to get a digest into my mail box means I almost definitely won’t bother reading it or posting to it. (So with this, I guess I am saying that the one part of the Classic-castle site that I don’t think is a good idea is the forum.)

   Also, how do you feel about your personal habits? I have been reading two forums, FBTB and Lugnet, as well as scanning through Brickshelf. Do I add a third LEGO forum to that? Or does one of them ultimately fall by the wayside? What other large forums are there--Bionicle Zone, Brickfilms, 1000Steine.de (German language), Bricklink. Any others? (Does L-Draw.org have a forum? How about ILTCO?) Is it possible to follow all these different forums? Or is it better to stick with Lugnet where we’ll see more cross-pollination between themes?

I think it is a bad idea to try and draw conversations away from Lugnet. Lugnet has a far better format, IMO, for reading, posting, keeping track of. All of those other sites are more challanging to keep up to date with what is going on. ILTCO and LDraw currently do not have forums. I think it makes it too difficult to follow all the forums, so I stick with just the one.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG