 Castle / 12389
Re: VP of Lego Direct @ Brickswest 2002 Transcript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:18:45 GMT

I'm afraid I agree with you
I dont belive they will ever get round to making all seven books (people can
point and jeer in years to come if Im wrong). Dealing with the childrens
market fads like HP never last. look at Pokemon, Power Rangers, Turtles et
all. They are big for a year maybe 2 then kids get bored. The 3rd film has
already been bumped back in the schedule to make way for other films, so we
shall see.

I think its a shame that Brad considers that HP _IS_ castle when there are
so many differences. If its just down to the pieces, Ive had as many good
items from the Star Wars Line than the HP line (and more usable torsos). Who
knows maybe with the big film treatments of Narnia on the way they might
licence that.. what with it being about a billion times better than HP. Now
they would be sets to look out for,
lots of fantasy creatures, Cair Paravelle, the temples of Calormen, the Ice
palace. (dont quote me on the spelling, I havent read them for a few years)

we can only hope :)

James Stacey
www.minifig.co.uk

"Magnus Lauglo" <thunder_road@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Danny, you make some very good points.

I also have my doubts about just how well 7 whole HP movies can do. If the
movies start to lose the public's interest, the lego HP line will likewise
stop selling well. I don't think we will be seeing HP lego in the shops
continuously for the next 6 years.

I agree that the HP line has given us some terrific pieces for castle and
fantasy type MOCs, from the various non human creatures to details like
books and grey hair/beard etc. You could even argue that for castle
builders, the HP line is better partswise than the most recent castle • line,
which saw sets like King Leo's Castle which are kind of cool to look at
(from the front), and have a lot of play value for children as a set, but
was still very unrealistic as an actual castle (lacking walls in all sorts
of places) and more importantly didn't have half as many useful parts for
Castle MOC building as older castles did.

I think the understanding is that there won't be a castle or fantasy type
line launched as long as lego is doing HP. Similarly, you'll also notice
that with the Starwars line, other lego space stuff has been largely put • on
hold.

I agree that we probably won't see seven HP movies, all acompanied by lego
sets stretching into the next 10 years.

But I think though that the real disappointment with the HP line is that
while the sets themselves have a lot of cool pieces, they are a bit stingy
on the basic bricks, and as actual playsets they are quite lacking as
substancial buildings. The HP line is clearly preventing lego indirectly
from persuing the castle line. Considering the reissue of the Guarded Inn
and the Blacksmith's Shop, one can't help but think that a full blown lego
castle line might be some kind of return to the golden years of castle. HP
is seen as delaying that.
If the castle line had instead been held back by say, a Lord of the Rings
line which had both great parts and also lots of useful basic bricks, I
think the reaction from many castleheads would be very different.

cheers

Magnus