 Castle / 12368
Re: VP of Lego Direct @ Brickswest 2002 Transcript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:09:39 GMT

Danny, you make some very good points.

In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda writes:
Alright I am tired of hearing you guys moan about Harry potter. About a year
or 2 ago a read on the lego sit that they are comeing out with a harry
potter line. I also read they are olny makeing movies for the first 2 books.
I was a bit sad because the third one is the olny one I read and the cirus
black minifig might be cool. Plus you guys are a bit on the dark side of HP.

I also have my doubts about just how well 7 whole HP movies can do. If the
movies start to lose the public's interest, the lego HP line will likewise
stop selling well. I don't think we will be seeing HP lego in the shops
continuously for the next 6 years.

The line gave us new doors a giant a troll goblin heads some new wall pieces
a grey bierd a new line of hair a turbin new gohst a 3 headed dog a new line
of heads the torsos are good for castle not all but some.

I agree that the HP line has given us some terrific pieces for castle and
fantasy type MOCs, from the various non human creatures to details like
books and grey hair/beard etc. You could even argue that for castle
builders, the HP line is better partswise than the most recent castle line,
which saw sets like King Leo's Castle which are kind of cool to look at
(from the front), and have a lot of play value for children as a set, but
was still very unrealistic as an actual castle (lacking walls in all sorts
of places) and more importantly didn't have half as many useful parts for
Castle MOC building as older castles did.

I will say this we
are do for a castle line maybe some thing fantasy orented with elves dwarves
gnomes imps ect...

I think the understanding is that there won't be a castle or fantasy type
line launched as long as lego is doing HP. Similarly, you'll also notice
that with the Starwars line, other lego space stuff has been largely put on
hold.

So please don't insinuate that all the books will be
movies or maybe I miss read and they said lego would olny have a line for
the first 2 movies and the others will be movies with no legos. I do
remember some thing about the first 2 movies olny and I knew about the harry
potter line a year or 2 before relese.

I agree that we probably won't see seven HP movies, all acompanied by lego
sets stretching into the next 10 years.

But I think though that the real disappointment with the HP line is that
while the sets themselves have a lot of cool pieces, they are a bit stingy
on the basic bricks, and as actual playsets they are quite lacking as
substancial buildings. The HP line is clearly preventing lego indirectly
from persuing the castle line. Considering the reissue of the Guarded Inn
and the Blacksmith's Shop, one can't help but think that a full blown lego
castle line might be some kind of return to the golden years of castle. HP
is seen as delaying that.
If the castle line had instead been held back by say, a Lord of the Rings
line which had both great parts and also lots of useful basic bricks, I
think the reaction from many castleheads would be very different.

cheers

Magnus