 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2490
  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I have already implemented support for the sky vector and for camera roll, see (URL) perhaps it would be more convenient to have a -matrix option to directly specify the camera matrix ? I know POV supports the matrix keyword inside the camera. (...) (19 years ago, 3-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) It would definitely be more convenient for me if you had a -matrix option. I'm not sure off the top of my head how to go from my camera matrix to your latitude/longitude/roll (although I'm sure I could probably figure it out). (...) I'll take (...) (19 years ago, 3-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

Thanks to both of you. Just for me, I would be completely satisfied if LDView shows (and exports to clipboard) full 4*4 trafo matrix instead of 3*3 matrix as it does in current version. Then I am able to derive .pov trafo matrix by myself. Small (...) (19 years ago, 4-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) As it happens, the 3x3 matrix that LDView gives you when you do View->Show View Info isn't the camera matrix. It's the rotation matrix applied to the model around the model's centroid. Having said that, I can derive a camera matrix based on (...) (19 years ago, 4-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I did some investigation (read: experimentation), and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to produce a camera matrix that POV will accept. The problem is that I use floats in my matrix, and they're not accurate enough to (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) Travis, You could orthogonalise the matrix before writing it out. It's relatively easy to make a routine that will find a 'best' rotation matrix that is perpendicular and very close to the original. That way you don't have to deal with the up, (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) Well, yes, but could you try generating these parameters in stead: location sky look_at angle These should be adequate to fully describe the camera. ldglite uses them (URL) I have already made a -csky option. My impression has always been that (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I can do that. Unless I'm badly mistaken, my existing up will work fine as a sky vector. (...) Reading between the lines of the descriptions of the various camera settings, it really looks like POV-Ray automatically generates direction, up, (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) Thanks for the offer. It sounds like I can make use of parameters that Lars has already implemented if I just change my outputs slightly, so I think I'll go that route. If you've already got the code or pseudo-code lying around, I'd like to (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) None handy but all I'd do is sort first and then perpendicularise one and use the cross-product for the third. Probably what you do anyway. To be honest I don't see why POVray is being so pedantic about it. It's only going to be accurate (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) I'm not sure what you mean by "sort first". However, I do what you say, and make the right and up perpendicular, then use the cross product to determine the direction. POV-Ray is only pedantic when the "vista buffer" is enabled (which is true (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

(...) By sort first I mean I would find which vector is most-orthogonal (ie. the one whose dot protucts were smallest compared to the other two) and leave it be, then I'd perpendicularise the one whose dot-product was smallest with the first one and (...) (19 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Is it possible to use LDView as POV-Ray previewer?

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing wrote: > Well, yes, but could you try generating these parameters in stead: > location > sky > lookat > angle OK, I got it working. Here's my camera: camera #declare ASPECT = 4/3; location < (...) (19 years ago, 9-Dec-05, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)