 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2102
Re: More color problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 04:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Mike Thorn wrote:
The problem is that any shadows make the minifig
look like it's just a stone statue. I did insert a spotlight to take
away some of the shadows from that beard.

One way is to insert a (dim) lightsource exactly at the camera point - this
way everything you can see is also lighted. By making this light dimmer than
other lights, you can still have shadows, but not so articulated.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately the sky sphere also creates a goodly amount of
light, creating shadows of its own. The spotlight seems to have taken care of
the stone look to the minifig, so I think I'll just stick with it the way it is.
Later renders will show the minifig actually doing stuff, so I don't think that
will be a problem.

I'm still working on those reflections though. I thought of one solution that
could be pretty labor-intensive, but I don't know if I want to go there. OTOH...
:)

Thanks for the suggestion.