 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2089
Re: More color problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 04:01:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Mike Thorn wrote:
I, like David, am having problems with color as well.

I have used transparent elements before and they have rendered beautifully.
However, in this case there seems to be something wrong and I really don't
know what it is.

I am trying to render a transparent sceptre for my deity minifig. I have set
the lightsabre handle and the gem to be Trans-White. The minifig itself is
white.

http://www.roboticsresources.com/mlcadphoto.jpg
http://www.roboticsresources.com/povrayphoto.jpg

(MLCad snapshot colors reduced to 16)

You can see from the dotted lines in the MLCad snapshot that the sceptre and
gem are indeed clear. However, the tracing shows something else. The image
shows the sceptre as white, same as the minifig.

Is there a bug in L3P or PoV-Ray when radiosity settings are used? I have a
custom sky sphere defined and am using Orion's LDRaw radiosity files.

If you would like to look at my source, you can download the 933KB file here:
<http://www.roboticsresources.com/lordgodsaid.pov>.

If anyone can tell me the problem here I would appreciate it. If there is no
solution I can work with that, but the scene would be so much nicer if I
could see shiny reflections of the sky through the jewel.

-Mike

I found you problem Mike.   How are you telling MLCad to use Trans-White?  I suspect you're clicking Custom and then choosing Transparent.  I'm inferring this from L3P inclusion of this color:

#declare Color0x06FFFFFF

The LDraw color number is 47 (15 + 32) as referenced here:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/93

If you want to choose this color in MLCad, simply bring up the color dialog and
you'll notice a vetical slider next to the color boxes.  Slide this down one
"click" and you see all the transparent colors.  In the future, if you notice
colors with the format of 0xXXXXXXXX, you probably need to evaluate you color
choice.

To fix your scene, you need to change the sceptre and gem to color 47 and run
the model back through L3P.

-Orion