 CAD / Ray-Tracing / *2142 (-20)
  Re: More Transparency issues (was: "Illusions")

Hi Mike, I doubt it's the material definition you posted. It renders as a nice solid blue on mah machine. I have blown up the image and seen what you mean. It sure looks like a transparent material has been applied to it. ? (21 years ago, 4-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: More Transparency issues (was: "Illusions")

Here I am again, pleading for help. I wonder if I'll ever learn enough that I can stop having to ask simple questions... This time the part won't show up, rather than the part showing up, um, *too* well. I'm working with that transparent sceptre (...) (21 years ago, 4-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) worlds? But then, from the example renders I posted, that might not be the greatest idea either... -Mike (21 years ago, 4-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) Not exactly, but pretty close. The 100 looks like it might be about right, but the 010 is more purple than magenta, and the 001 is clearly yellow and not amber (the nofilter flames look closer to amber). It's almost as if you're programming (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Animation using Datsville

(...) Yes, I just did this yesterday. I'm now able to render Datsville using qual > 0 but without studs. I'f I turn studs on, POV-Ray fails with an out of memory error. This happens at about 2 GB of memory used. Even with my page file jacked up to 3 (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) I think L3P should continue to use rgbf. Wouldn't you agree from the real-world examples you provided in (URL) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Animation using Datsville

(...) Have you tried using LDBoxer to cut down on size? (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: "Illusions"

Couple of things: 1. Where I said "By setting the transparency and transmit values high", I meant "By setting the transparency and *filter* values high", 2. Let me once again point out that CGI and real objects might look the same, but often act (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) Looking at your file made me notice something that tells me definitely that you and David are correct. I never noticed before that there is a filter value in there after the rgb vector. Naturally that would skew things a bit. So David was (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) Well, let me try it. I tried RGB values for the flames of 1,0,0 - 0,1,0 - 0,0,1 1,1,1 - 0,0,0 respectively. (URL) Deeps (each image under 12K): (5 URLs) But looking at the results it just confuses me more. What do you think? Are these the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) I've played around with this a bit and I think what is happening is that you're trying to accomplish several things at once, and some collide with others. By setting the transparency and transmit values high, you're bascially instructing the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) I've never done CGI artwork before, so I couldn't say how this Filter function should work. I did, however, study theatrical lighting design in college, so I have some solid knowledge about how light works. For instance, if you place an object (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) Well, it certainly sounds logical, but I thought that was what 'filter' did. Well, let me have a look at the documentation. ... Here we are: The 4th component, called filter, specifies the amount of filtered transparency of a substance. Some (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

Pretty cool! Don't ask and post it for SOTM! Jeroen "Mike Thorn" <webmaster!@!robotic...urces.com> wrote in message news:HtyJoL.437@lugnet.com... (...) even (...) (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) Did you make it more transparent for the full spectrum, or just red and/or green? If you didn't increase the transparency for blue at the same time, maybe it's allowing orange light through while causing blue to reflect. (...) If my theory is (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) I was trying to make the flame pieces a little more transparent. I thought there were a little too "strong." It was just a little overbearing. I've used rgbt to great success before with the (URL) Town Square Fountain>, so I thought I'd try it (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) That is pretty cool looking, in a somewhat indefinable way. (...) Can we at least ask you what you were trying to do? Which part of it were you not expecting to happen? (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) No, I was editing the properties of the transparent color using Transmit. The only code I changed was for Color57, here: #ifndef (Color57) #declare Color57 = #if (version >= 3.1) material { #end texture { pigment { [rgbt < 1,0.4,0,.8 >] #if (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: "Illusions"

(...) Can you upload the pov-file? I'm sure the answer is hidden in there :) I think that you have used the "looks like" option of a light. I had always problems with that option and got nearly similar results. (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  "Illusions"

A problem in a POV file resulted in a very unique and interesting, perhaps even beautiful? picture. (URL) I have an 800x600 version (URL) here>, and email me if you want the 1024x768 BMP. Don't ask me what I did; I don't understand why it happened (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact