 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2131
Re: "Illusions"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 03:36:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Mike Thorn wrote:
   Well, it certainly sounds logical, but I thought that was what ‘filter’ did. Well, let me have a look at the documentation.

I’ve never done CGI artwork before, so I couldn’t say how this Filter function should work. I did, however, study theatrical lighting design in college, so I have some solid knowledge about how light works. For instance, if you place an object in front of a white surface and shine an amber spotlight on it in a room with standard lighting, it will appear to cast a blue shadow (hence my theory).

   So it appears that we are experiencing a unique unknown phenomenon only explainable through the explanation that the object in question was rendered by a computer and therefore subject to incomprehensible quirks. ;)

But I’m still curious to know why it happened. I never touched the lights, so they should still be fully white. There seems to be no logical reason why the flames would appear blue.

Have you tried changing the colors of the flames to see what happens? If making them trans-red makes them appear magenta, or trans-green makes them appear cyan, it would mean that my theory has merit. Exactly why the program makes it do that, on the other hand, is a completely different matter.