 CAD / MLCad / 567
Re: How do I speed things up ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 23:18:32 GMT

    It sure would !  I was thinking along these lines a few days ago and I
tried a small experiment.  I manually edited copies of the .dat files for
the basic bricks that my model uses and removed all of the "extraneous"
quads and studs so that each part was basically just a box.  I figured that
I'd have reduced the number of primitives and therfore triangles that needed
to be z-buffered and and rendered by a factor of 10 and that would *HAVE* to
speed things up right ?  Well, at first, I was discouraged, but it turns out
that it did speed things up alot.  First I measured how long it took to open
and initially draw the model.  The simplified bricks made no difference at
all.   On my AMD K6-300, it took 1 minute and 20 seconds to open that model
no matter what I tried : (  This afternoon, I finally realized that there
must be quite a bit of array setup and disk I/O going on the first time
MLCAD parses a .dat file and that my 66-MHZ bus was probably the limiting
factor so I decided to time how long it took to redraw 1 pane (with the
other's hidden) set to a view angle of 3d after a small rotation.  I drew a
small arc on my monitor with grease pencil so I could reproduce the mouse
rotation as well as possible.  This time the difference was worth while.
With the standard parts, it took and average of 35 seconds to re-draw the
model after a rotation.   With the simplified parts and the same rotation,
it only took an average of 5 seconds !  I'm relatively happy with a 700%
speed up  : )
    So anyway, being able to selectively make parts render as wire-frame
only would probably make for a great improvement.

What if would be possible to mark certain parts for outline or wire-frame
drawing?
Would that be of any help?