 CAD / MLCad / 535
Re: How do I speed things up ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 04:00:55 GMT

I have the same problems!

Fortunately, there are several things you can do to speed things up:

- First of all, make sure you have the very latest MLCAD release ( 1.99 ) -
If you didn't download it in the last week, then its old.  The older version
had a bug where it would redraw more than it needed to.

- Second. Make sure nothing else is running on your machine.  For instance,
I sometimes listen to MP3 music.  This doesn't use any system resources, but
many of the players (like the windows media player) have on-screen
entertainment.  Turn this off since it uses CPU.

- Another thing you can do is to select "outline" on the right-click window
on panes you aren't using.  This degrades the visual quality (and
functionality) of each pane, but it drastically speeds up drawing.  I toggle
this mode on and off when I'm working on a larger model.

- Go to "settings..", "General..." Change.." on the menu.  On the dialog, go
to the "rendering" tab.  Where it says "stud mode," change this to "lines."
This is the single biggest performance improvement you can get (that I know
of).  This will degrade the visual quality of the studs, but little lines
are displayed in their place.  This is usually good enough.  Make sure that
"Draw to selected part" is disabled.

Hopefully, other people will post other replies.  I'd like some more tips as
well.  It seems that my models grow and grow until my computer starts to
churn.

Xanthra47 <Xanthra47@Inphotek.com> wrote in message
Hi,
    I'm new to MLCAD and I'm wondering how I can speed things up.  The • Star
Destroyer model I'm working on is rather large (5,000+ bricks in the
skeleton alone !) and it takes several seconds for each screen redraw.  Is
there a way to just work with part of it and not have to draw the *whole*
thing all the time ?
                                        Thanks,
                                        Xanthra The Usurper