 CAD / MLCad / 541
Re: How do I speed things up ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:22:47 GMT

Hi,
I haven't been working with MLCad too long, but I have run into the same
sort of problems.  Here is one suggestion that I have that works well, I
think.

If you are working on a large model, you can "hide" a whole bunch of pieces
that are on a part of the model that you are not currently working on.

The best way that I have found to do this is to use the cursor to minimize
the area that MLCad is using for drawing(1).  You do this by positioning the
cursor between the text list of DAT lines, and the four display areas.  Then
you click and drag that line to the bottom of the screen.  MLCad will now
not waste time redrawing the windows that aren't displayed, so it won't
redraw ANY of them.  We can now work with the text representation of our DAT
file without any delays.

In the text area, use shift click to select a range of pieces that you do
not need to be viewing right now.  When you have them selected, simply click
the dim lightbulb icon ( hide ), which will "hide" the pieces.  The pieces
are still in the same places, they just will not be drawn into the display
areas.

When you are done hiding the pieces you don't need to see right now, click
and drag the window divider back up to create a viewable area, and MLCad
will begin to redraw your DAT file, minus the "hidden" pieces.

When you want to see the whole thing again, you can make the pieces visible
again by clicking on the icon that has multiple lit lightbulbs ( Show All ).
All of the pieces that you selected and hid earlier will be revealed again.

Hope that helps...
-Andy Lynch

(1) - NOTE!  If you do not minimize the area that MLCad is using to draw the
DAT file, then it will attempt to redraw EACH part as you select it!!!  This
takes an incredible amount of time.  On my machine, MLCad stops responding,
and I haven't had the patience to allow it to finish. :-)