 CAD / MLCad / 1346
Re: Description of MLCad extensions available now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:30:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann writes:
Hi,

all people interested into the ldraw format extensions of MLCad may follow
this link to download the spec in pdf format. There is no other link for now
to this document then that one here, but this will follow next.

http://www.lm-software.com/mlcad/Extensions.pdf

happy reading and programming,
  Michael

I'm actually somewhat UNhappy right now.  Maybe I'm a bit of a nut, but
are these the first ldraw extensions that come with a lizence agreement?
I admit the requirements in the agreement are probably a good procedure
to follow, but why do they need to be enforced by a license agreement?

What if all the part authors made similar demands?  I know I've only made
a few parts and primitives, but they're all unencumbered by such demands.

Um, submission of a part subjects the part to the LDraw.org license, or is
intended to. The parts library is protected by an overall license, or is
intended to be in the future once the license is in place (that this effort
has appeared to be dormant does not mean that it's still not intended to be
brought to closure). That license is intended to clarify who controls the
part (the community) and who has rights to use the part (everyone) but it's
still a license.

I'm almost inclined to say that they can no longer be used by any software
but mine without written permission.

This is not allowed by the terms of the license you agree to (or will have
to agree to) when you submit your part for inclusion. This is a protection
for users of the parts. If you do not agree with the license terms you may
not want to submit parts.

The license on the MLCad documentation seems reasonable to me, it says that
if you implement a program to that spec you have to reference the spec in
original form so there can be no confusion about the spec or where it came
from. It places no other restrictions and does not include a "we can modify
this license if we want" clause.