 CAD / MLCad / 1345
Re: Description of MLCad extensions available now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:08:48 GMT

May I say you got that wrong?

The license is ment for developers going to implement the command into
theire own programs. Then I would like to have some notice from where the
commands originally came from.

I never sayed or wrote that you have to note something when you use the
commands in models or parts (even if this would be wise to do, since people
might not know what type of commands these are, so a notice telling what it
is would not be bad anyway).

The other end is that you might have recogniced that I have been founding a
company on my own. And I am still providing MLCad for free, but some
regulations have to be done, to protect myself. And from a company you never
will get something without a license agreement.

I believe my license agreement on the MLCad command extensions for
developers is not the worst thing here, I just like to mention the
regulations regarding the part library, which still prevent that software is
bundled with it. Thats bad!

I hope I could clarify things now ....

Regards,
  Michael

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Michael Lachmann writes:
Hi,

all people interested into the ldraw format extensions of MLCad may • follow
this link to download the spec in pdf format. There is no other link for • now
to this document then that one here, but this will follow next.

http://www.lm-software.com/mlcad/Extensions.pdf

happy reading and programming,
  Michael

I'm actually somewhat UNhappy right now.  Maybe I'm a bit of a nut, but
are these the first ldraw extensions that come with a lizence agreement?
I admit the requirements in the agreement are probably a good procedure
to follow, but why do they need to be enforced by a license agreement?

What if all the part authors made similar demands?  I know I've only made
a few parts and primitives, but they're all unencumbered by such demands.
I'm almost inclined to say that they can no longer be used by any software
but mine without written permission.  (I'd never do that, but I hope you
get the idea.)

Copyright the program if you must.  Copywright the documentation if you
want.  Just don't copyright the language used by my data (the model) even
if it's produced by your program.  That makes me angry.

Don