 CAD / MLCad / 1180
Re: 3D Myst III viewer of a castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:19:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Tim Courtney writes:
"Chuck Sommerville" <chucks@he.net> wrote in message
I built this proof of concept castle section using a java applet for • viewing
spherical renderings.  It is kind of like the Myst III viewer.

http://www.he.net/~chucks/castle/room1.htm

This is a fun way to view models from the inside.

Hey Chuck -
This is so cool!!  I haven't played with spherical renderings yet (acually,
to be totally honest, I didn't know they existed until you posted this).

I take it since each room is an image, you can't walk through it like a VRML
model, right?

Also, I crossposted this to .cad as well.  Its not just an MLCAD thing, its
an LDraw thing. :-)

-Tim

Actually, its a Java applet thing.  On my web page, the applet, and all the
images are in the same directory as the html file. If you are interested in
this type of thing, be sure to check out the web page where I got the applet.
http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/
It is capable of a lot more than I did with it.  My html file is a good
example of how to script together some rooms, but with some good Java
programming and scripting, you could do an entire adventure with sounds and
animation.

Here is the POV camera I used:

camera {
  spherical
  location <0,0,0>      // position
  look_at  <1,0,0>      // view
  h_angle 360           // horizontal degrees
  v_angle 180           // vertical degrees
  rotate <180, 0, 0>
  translate <0,-95,0>
}

Just delete the L3P generated camera and insert the spherical one.
The Rotate <180,0,0> was added because it was rendering upside down.
Unfortunately, this also mirror flips the image from the model, but who can
tell.  There is probably an easy POV fix for right/left handedness.
The translate <-320,-239,0> command was how I positioned the camera.  This
was different for each location.
I rendered with the command line options -l to use my model lights (light.dat)
and -h600 -w1200 for the size image I wanted.  It also looks better rendered
aliased, but I was in a hurry, and just wanted to prove my point.

The web page for the viewer has very good documentation for how to use the
viewer.  By the way, you can also use +/- to zoom in and out.

The other thing to do is to render it so that a hot spot doesn't cross the
seam at the edges.

If I had anything to ask of L3P to help this, it would be a command line
option to suppress the camera.

By the way, the camera in room 3 on the stairs is intentionally tilted, just
to see how that would come out.

-Chuck