 CAD / MLCad / 1149
Re: Newbie Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:24:54 GMT

These sound like two different problems.

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Jason Hill writes:
I'm having trouble following this discussion, could someone explain the
steps required to get leg.dat (example filenames) to show up as it's parts
in walker.dat?

This is 'inlining'.  To do this in MLCAD, do this:
1. Open walker.dat in MLCAD.
2. Use Multipart | Import Model... to import leg.dat into walker.dat.
3. Set the Active Model to walker.dat.
4. Use File | Export to create a combined .dat file.

If you don't change any settings in the Export dialog, you'll get
multiple walker*.dat files in your temporary directory (usually
C:\Windows\Temp\).  The first one should be the one you want.

If you want to use LDraw Add-On, do this:

1. Open LDAO.
2. Navigate to the directory containing walker.dat.
3. Select (click on) walker.dat.
4. Use File | Copy to make a copy of walker.dat.
4. Click Tools | Inline Model to start inlining into the copied file.
5. Click Select All.
6. Click Inline.
7. Click Close.

Noticate that LDAO's Inline Model always saves the results back into the
original file.  So you should make a copy of the file before inlining,
just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Yeah, I am having trouble posting files myself for something along these
same reasons -- how to post files that include submodels.  I am trying to
look at Steve Lane's Zoid model, and I surmise he is having a similar problem.

To make simple posts of models with multiple files, turn the model into
an MPD.  That is, do the following:

1. Open the main file in MLCAD.
2. Use Multipart | Import Model... once on each each subfile, to bring
the subfiles into the main file.
3. Use File | Save As... to save the combined file with an MPD
extension.
4. Post the MPD you saved.

OR, you could use Jacob's BuildMPD utility program to create the MPD.
BuildMPD does all the work of identifying and including the subfiles,
but it's a command-line program.  Very few options, and it's easy to
use.

Steve