 CAD / LeoCAD / 144
Re: LeoCad version 0.75
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.leocad
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 17:59:45 GMT

Ronald Borchert wrote:
Hi,
I didn't found out how to see parts numbers in the tree, although I selected
"Show numbers" in the context menu and/or the pieces toolbar preferences. It's
now hard to find a part when you don't know the name of the part or the
category. So I looked for more than ten minutes until I found the turntables
(unfortunately in the "Hinge & Bracket" category).
Is it planned to make the parts numbers visible again?

   If you move the mouse over a piece in the tree it will show you its
number, the option for showing numbers is gone and should have been
removed from the menu. I'd like to keep the tree as simple as possible,
having the numbers there leaves less room for the piece names.

   You can use the search box to help you find pieces, if you type
either the name or number it will auto-complete and select the piece for
you, or just type the search string and press enter to see the results
in the Search Results category at the bottom of the list.

   See http://trac.gerf.org/leocad/wiki/ChoosingPieces for more information.

The new tree feature should be better to find parts but it needs more space on
the screen. This could be minimized if the first word in the parts name would be
deleted.
Example:
All part names in the "Bricks" category begin with "Brick". This is unnecessary
because there are only "Bricks" in this category. Same for most of the other
categories. Categories which contain more types of parts like "Hinge & Bracket"
could be devided with subcategories. So in all categories (maybe except the
"Misc" category) the first word of the parts names could be deleted.
This would save space in the pieces toolbar.

   I do this for patterned pieces already, but I think it would be too
confusing to do it for other pieces.

Leonardo