Re: No mention of scale in file format doc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:39:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Stefan Gustavson wrote:

Well, yes, and no. The bricks are not nearly as precise as the molds,
but the dimensional tolerances for parts must certainly be a lot
tighter than the difference between 1/64" and 0.4 mm. That difference
is almost a full percent, so there is absolutely no doubt about this:

1 LDU is certainly not 1/64".

1 LDU is, however, quite likely to be exactly 0.4 mm.
I challenge anyone to dispute this. It is not a fact, it is just
my best guess, but in the true spirit of science I put that best
guess into writing:

http://www.itn.liu.se/~stegu/lego/LDUlength.pdf

(Don't worry about my mental health, this was written for
fun. But the *results* are meant to be taken seriously.)

Well, far be it from me to argue with Science. ;)

Steve