Re: No mention of scale in file format doc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:36:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The strictest definition is 1 LDU equals 1/20 the width
of a 1x1 brick (whatever that measurement turns out to be).

-Orion

I beg to differ. The width of a 1x1 brick is not the same as
the spacing between two stud centres. Bricks have a small gap
between them, whereas studs are very accurately placed on any
brick with more than 1 stud. The LDU unit should be defined
by the stud spacings, not in terms of brick width or height.

Well, yes, I'm a scientist, so I probably care way too much
about standards and measures, and it really doesn't matter,
I am fully aware of that, but I spent a fun hour tonight
writing this 1-page scientific paper on the subject:

http://www.itn.liu.se/~stegu/lego/LDUlength.pdf

  Stefan