Re: No mention of scale in file format doc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:07:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss wrote:
The basic file format specification should not include any mention of winding,
except maybe "specific winding is not required (but it is a good thing).  If you
are interested, check out the BFC spec <link>".

All BFC requires is uniform, non-bowtie winding.  While currently the spec
doesn't require winding, I see no reason not to revise the new spec to make it a
requirement.  On the flip side there are many file still left in the loibrary
with a bowtie winding so changing the spec before we fix those parts might not
be prudent.

But what's required by/for the parts library is different from what the basic
file format spec lays out.  I think it is better (more flexible, easier to
write) for the file format to be flexible.

When I'm doing rough coding of new parts, I don't care about winding, and I'd
find it less than useful if a renderer could not handle 'unwound' polygons.

Likewise, if I'm doing non-lego work, it's usually quick-and-dirty, and keeping
cleanly wound polygons is not high on my priorities.

I doubt I'm the only person who uses the LDraw 'language' this way.

In particular, a somewhat mysterious diagram labeled "bad" is more confusing
than helpful, IMO.

True, It was just something I whipped up in a rush with the intention of making
a better example later.

nod, ok.

Steve