Re: No mention of scale in file format doc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:39:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
1 LDU = .397 mm

Hmm.  Where did that figure come from?  I've been using 1 LDU = .4mm for quite
awhile now...

I was wondering about this number in that otherwise very
explanatory and very clear figure when I saw it in the
Brickfest presentation. I would strongly argue that Lego,
being a Danish creation, is in fact metric by design,
and that 1 LDU is actually *exactly* 0.4 mm.

heh.  Don't be *too* sure about that, I seem to remember seeing some early
evidence about measurements in English units.  But it's a vague memory, I
definitely don't recall the source.

My understanding is that the bricks aren't measured closely, but the *molds*
are!  Because of the (slight) shrinkage that occurs post-molding, lego parts
aren't actually a nice neat size.

Steve