Subject:
2005 Steering Committee Candidate Larry Pieniazek - backgrounder and position statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:05:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Last year, I outlined my background and positions in this post.

I am standing for election again, and I think it’s useful to review that post and take stock. In that post I said that the key areas of focus for the steering committee ought to be on community, contributors, users, and spirit.

I think the Steering Committee has done quite well at staying focused on just those things. This year has seen a number of positive developments.

One of the most important ones has been the progress on the Contributor Agreement. While we are not yet done, we have made great strides. The CA we arrived at, with a lot of community input and help, will ensure that the rights of the contributors are properly protected, with attribution and acknowledgement, but that the organization can move forward, with no more legal limbo to hold users and the organization back. There is still work to be done on this and support from the community will be essential.

The Steering Committee has also made good progress on the organizational tasks themselves. The first year is always one in which processes and procedures are determined and debugged. I am happy to report that the organization is in good shape, with things set up so that future SteerCo members do not have to worry about the details of how to get things done. We had an orderly LSC election so the LSC process is in good shape.

There have been a number of interesting technical developments of late and the LSC has been appropriately involved. As a user I am quite excited about some of these. However the proper role of the Steering Committee is to facilitate the LSC in making the final technical determinations, and I think the SteerCo has done well at that.

In short, then, I think things are going well, and I’d be happy to be measured against my positions last year. But there is more to do, and I think there is a great deal of value in continuity. So I would like to ask for your continued support when you vote, and further, I’d actually like to ask that you consider supporting all 5 of the current Steering Committee members, because we work well together and I think we’ve all done well at staying focused on the goals we set forth when we stood for election, as we said we would.

So, please consider supporting the current Steering Committee officers:

Kevin Clague
Tim Courtney
Chris Dee
Larry Pieniazek