Subject:
Steering Committee candidate Larry Pieniazek - backgrounder and position statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:46:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

First, I would like to thank the community and the large number of members of it that have put a lot of thought and effort into getting ldraw.org to where it is today. I think it’s important that the community is choosing to organize to take ldraw.org to the next level and I look forward to being part of that process whether or not I am ultimately elected.

I think many people in the overall LEGO community know who I am and have already formed opinions of my activities, approach and level of contribution, but for those that may not, the Brickfest PDX 2004 website has a good capsule summary here.

More specifically to LDraw, I have been a part of efforts to organize it for some time now, I’m the “+1” in the “4+1” ad-hoc organising committee, I participated in the discussions around the formation of the LDraw Standards Committee, and I am on the content and tech mailing lists for the new site, as well as having participated (I’d like to think as a significant contributor) in the bylaws process itself.

In general I am a keen student of, and participant in, organizations (1) and think they add a lot of value to the sense of community we enjoy in the hobby as well as giving a vehicle for individuals to contribute their talents to enrich the hobby for all. I think LDraw.org will play a key part in this, as the web of organizations grows and meshes together, each organization brings a different and unique viewpoint and contribution to the overall fabric. And that’s fascinating to watch and to be a part of.

But my LDraw interest is more than purely organizational. I am an LDraw user, first and foremost. The rich toolset that the LDraw standard has engendered enables me to quickly and efficiently produce illustrations and instructions that rival what LEGO itself does for my commercial models at MTW. I’m also a reviewer with a number of reviews, some controversial some not, to my credit, although I wish it was more. I have also dabbled with parts authoring... while I am not as proficient at it as some, I do have some parts that are now official,

So I am vitally concerned with LDraw and its success internally. I don’t want things to ever get to the point where parts authors don’t want to do new parts because it’s not fun, or where reviewers view reviewing as a drudge that is not at all interesting, or where tools authors don’t want to contribute new tools to the community because they’re concerned about licensing or support or misuse of their work, or where modelers don’t want to share their models in ways that they consider appropriate. None of that has happened so far to any great extent and I’d like to keep it that way

What does that all mean? If elected, you can expect that I will be focusing on a number of things
  • keeping LDraw.org firmly part of the community, ensuring a good flow of information and ideas and actions both inward and outward, among the various other organisations that I am part of (2).
  • Watching out for the needs of the contributors. I plan to work to solve issues around licensing, ownership, credit and recognition so that those who want to contribute find it fun and not cumbersome to do so, and find that their rights are protected appropriately. Different classes of contributions have different needs but all need to be treated fairly. Getting the parts license resolved will be a huge focus for me, immediately on election.
  • Watching out for the needs of the users. I am primarily a user, and I will bring a user’s perspective to this that not all of the other candidates (however well qualified) will be able to have. Users need to be able to use the tools without in so doing getting restrictions imposed on what they can do with their work.
  • Watching out for the needs of the spirit of the organization. LDraw is something that a lot of people have a unique emotional investment in, something that means a lot to many people and something we need to protect.
In summary, I think that I will be able to add a lot more to the organization beyond what I already have so far, and I ask you, gentle reader, for your support. If you have issues or concerns please feel free to mail me about them.

Thank you very much.

++Lar

1 - I was on student council in high school and in college, I was an officer in my fraternity, I was president of a 700 member PC club in the late 80s, back when PC clubs were an important vehicle to disseminating knowledge to hobbyists, I was around at the start of LUGNET and am still advising to this day, I’m active in ILTCO, I co-founded the Guild of Bricksmiths, I helped get my local club, MichLUG/MichLTC, better organized, I’ve participated in the formation of GameLUG, I’ve been a significant contributor to various BrickFest events, I am a “US Observer” to EuroBrick, I am a member of Brickish.org, and observe on many other club lists, and I have advised several local clubs on organizational issues, and on and on and on...
2 - and I think I’m uniquely positioned in this regard with my broad organisational reach and ability to travel and actually talk to folks worldwide, gathering input and sharing information