Re: No mention of scale in file format doc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
1 LDU = .397 mm

I was wondering about this number in that otherwise very
explanatory and very clear figure when I saw it in the
Brickfest presentation. I would strongly argue that Lego,
being a Danish creation, is in fact metric by design,
and that 1 LDU is actually *exactly* 0.4 mm.

Isn't that what should be stated in this important,
semi-official standards defining document?
0.4 mm happens to be quite close to 1/64 inch, but
it's clearly different enough to matter.

An accurate metric caliper just told me that to within
an accuracy of a tenth of a millimeter, 16 stud spacings
on a baseplate measure 128 mm, definitely not 5" = 127 mm,
which would be the distance if 1 LDU = 1/64". I thus have
empiric data to support my case. :)

  Stefan Gustavson

You're probably right.  The strictest definition is 1 LDU equals 1/20 the width
of a 1x1 brick (whatever that measurement turns out to be).

-Orion