 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 718
Re: How do I get these new applications working?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:17:49 GMT

   On the Bricksmith side of things, I’ve determined that it does not appear to check the folder the opened dat file resides in for submodels. The files that were not displaying in Bricksmith were ones that just had commands for positioning submodels, the dat files for the submodels were in the same folder as the positioning dat. I was able to get those models to display by cutting and pasting the submodel dat files into the positioning dat file, and adding a “0 FILE submodelname.dat” line before each submodel. Should it be working that way?

Short Answer: That’s how it’s programmed.

In order to really display a model made with references to parts in its enclosing folder, we have to make a number of decidedly unpleasant assumptions. Firstly, we have to assume the referenced parts will never change while the main model is being edited; otherwise, we have to poll the disk and/or reparse each time we draw the model. That would incur a performance hit I don’t think anybody wants.

I consider it to be a very bad assumption that dependent files won’t change. This is not DOS, it’s a multi-tasking, multi-document system. But the real whingzinger is that you can create a document that has no physical representation on disk, which makes the local-search-path method a non-sequitur. The MPD format is the better answer to creating submodels.

Anyway, I realize this behavior is against the specification. But I’d really rather avoid getting lost in the labyrinth of implementing that referencing system if I can at all avoid it.

Incidentally, you use Bricksmith to combine files into one MPD: just drag the submodels from one file into the File Contents drawer of the destination file.

Sincerely,
Allen Smith