 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 714
Re: How do I get these new applications working?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:42:52 GMT

Erik L. Knopp wrote:
Don Heyse <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote:

Another thing to try is open up a terminal window and run it on the
command line.  I think there's some information on setting that up in
the installation instructions.  It prints all sorts of useful information
to the console when run from the command line.  Maybe that'll help
figure out where the parts are hiding.

Don

I found the following in the instructions at
<http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/osxinstall.html>:

Step 6: Accessing the Command Line Versions of ldglite and mklist The
command line versions of ldglite and mklist are inside the ldglite.app
application bundle. To launch ldglite or mklist from the command line you
will either have to specify the path or create a soft link to the file.

For example, ln -s /path-to-ldglite.app/ldglite.app/Contents/MacOS/ldglite
~/ldglite

Do I just type in the command above into Terminal, replacing
"path-to-ldglite.app" with the path to where I have LDGLITE?
(In my case, it is in a "LDGLtite for OSX" folder in the "Applications"
folder. I'm not that familiar with using Terminal, how would I enter
that path?)

If ldglite is just floating around in your applications folder then you
would do

ln -s /Applications/ldglite.app/Contents/MacOS/ldglite ~/ldglite

and a file (actually a soft link--something kinda like a Mac alias)
named ldglite would appear in your home directory. If you are not
familiar with the terminal, then I wouldn't recommend using the command
line version of the program (unless you are really gung ho about doing
it the old fashion way or learning about the terminal :).

Don just wanted some of the programmy stuff that gets printed to the
terminal window as ldglite launches. He doesn't know(remember) that when
you launch the bundle (the one you have) all that programmy stuff gets
written to the console which you can read if you want by using a program
called, of all things :), Console (in /Applications/Utilities).

However, I don't think he needs that stuff. I think the problem was (see
the other post) that ldglite couldn't find the LDRAW directory, and it
was simply drawing the parts that had been defined within the dat file.

On the Bricksmith side of things, I've determined that it does not
appear to check the folder the opened dat file resides in for submodels.
The files that were not displaying in Bricksmith were ones that just had
commands for positioning submodels, the dat files for the submodels were
in the same folder as the positioning dat. I was able to get those
models to display by cutting and pasting the submodel dat files into the
positioning dat file, and adding a "0 FILE submodelname.dat" line before
each submodel. Should it be working that way?

I can't comment on this one.

Erik

Chris

--