 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 716
Re: How do I get these new applications working?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:51:51 GMT

Christopher Masi <cjmasi@*nogarbageplease*rcn.com> wrote:

Why didn't it work in the first place before you moved your LDRAW
library from ~/Library to /Library? I don't know...

Now I know! There is a bug in set-ldrawdir.command. Set-ldrawdir.command
should not be using a "~". I just confirmed this by chaning mine to a
"~", and ldglite could not find my ldraw directory.

So, you did everything right, we didn't. Sorry. Quickest fix for you...

Launch Terminal
type
pico .MacOSX/environment.plist

pico is a command line text editor. Actually, I think Apple switched to
nano in 10.4, but most *nix systems will launch nano if you type pico.
If you get a "Command not found." message, type
nano .MacOSX/environment.plist

use the arrow keys to get your cursor down to the line where it says
<string>~/Library/ldraw</string>

Change that line to
<string>/Users/yourusername/Library/ldraw</string>

where yourusername is the "short" version of your username. Check in
"Sytem Preferences... ->Accounts" if you don't know what the short
version is.

Type "ctrl o" (hold ctrl and press o) to save the changes.
Type "ctrl x" to exit pico/nano.

Log out and back in. ldglite should work now.

[snip]

Is there more to it than just logging out and logging back in? I moved
the ldraw foler to my user library folder, reran the
set-ldrawdir.command, and logged out and back in using the "Log Out..."
command under the apple menu. (is that the correct way to log out and
back in?)

Yep, you were doing everything right, sorry.

Is there any significance to what is shown in the first
'<string>..</string>' line of the '.MacOSX/environment.plist' file? (On
my Mac it is '<string>-l3</string>'.)

Yes and no. the LDGLILTEARGS is the way to send flags to the
application. Flags tell ldglite what to do when it launches. In
ldglite's original incarnation it was a command line program, and it
would be launched by typing something like
./ldglite -LE -v2 mini.dat

The default "-l3" means that the program starts in the "viewer" mode
where you can look at the model.

My configuration "-LE v800,537" means ldglite will start in the "editor"
mode, the "-LE" part, and the window will be 800x537 pixels, the
"-v800,537" part. Why the weird window size? By trial and error I
determined that the largest window that I could use, and still get
hardware accelerated graphics on my PowerBook G3(FireWire/Pismo), was
800x537.

Oh, and before I was badmouthing the command line interface (cli)...
well, it does have its uses. For example, I guess you can use the cli to
  generate directions that are at a higher resolution than your display,
and do it without having to watch ldglite do the work. I have never done
it, so I cannot advise you on how to do it. The readme.txt has that kind
of info in it.

Erik

I'll talk with Tom and Don about fixing the set-ldrawdir.command script.

Chris
--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease