 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 111
Re: Online Mac instructions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:26:19 GMT

I'd consider ldglite more of an UNpopular FIRST generation editor.

Yeah, but it is the ONLY editor we Mac users have.  So it is the best and
most popular Mac ldraw app.  I know what you mean, you don't want us to
think that it is the ultimate.  It is just that we can't even put up a
"getting started" page if there is nothing to use to edit.  I am not going
to say:

     Go get a PC or use Virtual PC.

Now that there is something, I am just going to push forward as if it were
the best.  This way, when BrickDraw3D is released, the "getting started",
and the other foundation work is already done.

Currently, my number one goal with my work here is to get developers
interested and I don't see them getting interested if they have to go get a
PC to edit files.

Well, ok.  I am not going to do any media blitzes until ldglite doesn't
crash just because my file was lower case.  I am hoping Andrew jumps on
this, or perhaps you, Don, can help me figure it out.

If you use the linux parts, you'll have to tell how to unzip and untar them
on OS 8 and 9.  (and probably on OSX as well)

Easy on Mac OS 8-9, if they have Stuffit, and just about ever Mac does.  For
example, on my mac, I click on the link, the file downloads, when it is done
downloading, my web browser's mime type settings open StuffIt and StuffIt
then decompresses the file.

It does need better instructions on installing the parts library, and what
about installing opengl on OS 8?

Parts library instructions on www.ldraw.com now (see link below, it isn't
live yet).

About OpenGL, instructions here:

I should add a link to the getting started page under system requirements
(although BrickDraw3D doesn't require OpenGL, so maybe I will have to make a
page specific to ldglite).

BTW: I put up a modified version of the Mac getting started instructions.  I
added a warning that the tools were still alphaish.  I also listed
BrickDraw3D above ldglite, if that helps.  There is a page for downloading
the parts as well.  The only thing holding up making this page live is the
parts problem.

http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/mac/index1

BTW: Matt has shown me a new version of the LDMC website.  It looks great.
The content is basically the same, but we are getting rid of the members
page.  I didn't like manually updating it, and it is kinda pointless now.  I
saw it as kinda a petition, and now that people are doing work, who needs
the petition anymore?  Matt and I have to work out a few more details and
probably update some text and then we will make it live.

James