 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 113
Re: Online Mac instructions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:54:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds writes:
Well, ok.  I am not going to do any media blitzes until ldglite doesn't
crash just because my file was lower case.  I am hoping Andrew jumps on
this, or perhaps you, Don, can help me figure it out.

I have to admit, I'm stumped on this one.  According to several sources
on the internet, the Mac HFS filesystem is case preserving for writing,
but case insensitive for lookups.  And since the OS 8-9 ldglite code seems
to be using stricmp for case insensitive filename compares, there should
be no problem with the lowercase linux parts distribution.  Does it work
with the current DOS parts distribution, or do you have to use the two
year old Mac parts distribution?

From my experience, I think thats correct. Whatever case you create something as
is the actual case that it is stored as. But, the ability to open a file is
'case insensitive'. Therefore, while it does preserve case when creating a file,
you cannot have two files with the same 'case insensitive' name, but having
different cases in the name. I just proved this by duplicating a file in the
Finder, removing the ' copy' suffix and trying to changing the case of one
character. The Finder told me that name already exists, which it does in 'case-
insensitive' land.

Or to put it another way...  the File System searches for files in a case-
insensitive manor. That search is used both for opening files and for checking
for duplicates when creating a new file.

Also keep in mind that everything I have said here is true for file-names stored
in the 'Roman' script system (which encompances all of the romance languages).
When you get into multi-byte script systens (e.g. Kanji, et al, [which the MacOS
does support]), then the rules of that script system might be different.

Ray