 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 115
Re: Online Mac instructions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:24:20 GMT

What is the problem with case exactly on macLDGLite? The linux parts
distribution has different case directory names and ldglite has a problem
with that?

Is it just the directory names that are trouble?

LDRAW has the same notion of case as DOS, which means that it's legal to
specify a part name in any case at all.

If your program is going to put the part into a cache, you have to enforce
some kind of rule in the program for looking it up, or the cache won't be
fully effective. BrickDraw3D for one keeps them all in lowercase,
internally, and ignores the extension (.DAT).

There's also times when a reference to a part comes with no extension. I
don't know if that's an error, but BrickDraw3D tries adding a standard
extension, unless there really is an extension-less file present.

I wrote my part file search to be totally paranoid about case and extensions.