 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 114
Re: Online Mac instructions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:23:53 GMT

As case sensitivity, I haven't changed the actual parser code, so if the
directory names are in upper case then it should work. However I must
confess I haven't tried using the linux ldraw primitives, so to redress
this, I have just downloaded the linux version from the LDMC homepage and
I'll tell you how I go and alter LdGLite (Mac) as necessary is the solution
is simple.

As to the HFS filing system, LdGLite (Mac) doesn't use it as the source is
written entirely in ANSI C with the exception of the Mac compatibility
section I added. The HFS prefers to handle files differently (ie by
allocating an id number to each file dynamically as it is loaded) rather
than use absolute pathnames (infact the Mac litrature reccomends strongly
against this), however to make the program run I have had to ignore
conventional Mac wisdom. In the Mac source I added I handle converting HFS
file allocations to absolute pathnames and back

I'll keep you posted

Andrew...

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds writes:
Well, ok.  I am not going to do any media blitzes until ldglite doesn't
crash just because my file was lower case.  I am hoping Andrew jumps on
this, or perhaps you, Don, can help me figure it out.

I have to admit, I'm stumped on this one.  According to several sources
on the internet, the Mac HFS filesystem is case preserving for writing,
but case insensitive for lookups.  And since the OS 8-9 ldglite code seems
to be using stricmp for case insensitive filename compares, there should
be no problem with the lowercase linux parts distribution.  Does it work
with the current DOS parts distribution, or do you have to use the two
year old Mac parts distribution?

If you use the linux parts, you'll have to tell how to unzip and untar them
on OS 8 and 9.  (and probably on OSX as well)

Easy on Mac OS 8-9, if they have Stuffit, and just about ever Mac does.  For
example, on my mac, I click on the link, the file downloads, when it is done
downloading, my web browser's mime type settings open StuffIt and StuffIt
then decompresses the file.

It does need better instructions on installing the parts library, and what
about installing opengl on OS 8?

Parts library instructions on www.ldraw.com now (see link below, it isn't
live yet).

About OpenGL, instructions here:

I should add a link to the getting started page under system requirements
(although BrickDraw3D doesn't require OpenGL, so maybe I will have to make a
page specific to ldglite).

Here's another essential link for the getting started page.  If you're
going to use ldglite to create .LDR files, you need the printable parts
catalog.  I prefer to print out the MS Word version, but the HTML
version should work everywhere.

http://www.nightsolo.net/lego/index.html

Don