 CAD / Development / 9277
Re: Color Definition for Dull Silver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:19:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

I agree with Cary and Steve that dithering should go.

Actually, I want to keep dithering.

Who needs it?

Shrug.  I dunno.

The renderer should be able to convert from true color to dithered
colors if the display is underpowered.  If you must have it for some
special effect like pearlescent sprinkles, then add it to the material
section.   So colors should be 0xAARRGGBB because that's the way
I like to parse them.  AA should be somewhere between FF and 00 for
transparent colors. (perhaps 80?)

I'm OK with AARRGGBB, if everyone agrees with that.

I'd recommend that programs recognize a variety of semi-standard formats,
specifically:
     #AARRGGBB
     0xAARRGGBB
     AARRGGBB
     INDEX(nnn)  // LDraw color index

If AA is not specified, it should be assumed to be 255 (ooo, tough one - have to
differentiate #00FFFFFF from #FFFFFF).

For the sake of the ldconfig.ldr, I recommend we pick one format to 'recommend' --
probably #AARRGGBB, since it's the shortest and more people (I suspect) are familiar
with #RRGGBB from HTML.

I think the true color edge colors need the high bits to distinguish
them from color indices, so I vote for 0x2RRGGBB for that.

I'd rather default to straight ARGB values, and have a special notation (ie, INDEX())
to flag when an LDraw code is used instead of a color value.

Multiple material properties are separated by the word MATERIAL.

Contrived examples with completely bogus colors.

0 //      Index  ColorName   EdgeColor  Color ARGB  Materials

0 COLOURDEF  33 TransBlue    0x2002266  0x800020A0  MATERIAL transparent

Other than the see-throughness, does transparent have different material properties
than standard opaque?

0 COLOURDEF 256 RubberBlack  0x2000000  0xFF212121  MATERIAL rubber
0 COLOURDEF 334 ChromeGold          15  0xFFC40026  MATERIAL metallic SHININESS
15
0 COLOURDEF nnn PearlyTan    0x2808080  0xFFC40026  MATERIAL pearly 0x80123456

In general, I agree with this.  We'll want to be careful with MATERIAL values;
'metallic' and 'pearly' can be confused.  And, I want an optional DITHER key:
0 COLOURDEF  64 OddLilac        index(8)   #EEFFFFFF   DITHER #EEFF00FF

Does it serve a purpose?  Not really.  Does it hurt to support it?  Not really.

If you'd rather propose a STIPPLE attribute, I'm open to that.

Steve