 CAD / Development / 9266
Re: Color Definition for Dull Silver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:51:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote: [snip]
I would like to draw attention to my posting about material:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=2530

Are you going to support the ldconfig file in the next version of L3P?  This
would make coming up with different color sets easy.

Yes, as soon as the format is settled.

On that note, let me toss in my $2.

I agree with Cary and Steve that dithering should go.  Who needs it?
The renderer should be able to convert from true color to dithered
colors if the display is underpowered.  If you must have it for some
special effect like pearlescent sprinkles, then add it to the material
section.   So colors should be 0xAARRGGBB because that's the way
I like to parse them.  AA should be somewhere between FF and 00 for
transparent colors. (perhaps 80?)

I think the true color edge colors need the high bits to distinguish
them from color indices, so I vote for 0x2RRGGBB for that.

Multiple material properties are separated by the word MATERIAL.

Contrived examples with completely bogus colors.

0 //      Index  ColorName   EdgeColor  Color ARGB  Materials

0 COLOURDEF  33 TransBlue    0x2002266  0x800020A0  MATERIAL transparent
0 COLOURDEF 256 RubberBlack  0x2000000  0xFF212121  MATERIAL rubber
0 COLOURDEF 334 ChromeGold          15  0xFFC40026  MATERIAL metallic SHININESS
15
0 COLOURDEF nnn PearlyTan    0x2808080  0xFFC40026  MATERIAL pearly 0x80123456

Don