 CAD / Development / 9257
Re: Color Definition for Dull Silver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:27:40 GMT

[Not really a .cad.ray question, but it's a gray area, so I'm leaving the cross-post]

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

Based on some discussion off Lugnet, it has been decided that the color number
for Dull (Brushed) Silver will be 375 (dithered color 7 and color 7).  Michael
said he'll update MLCad and I'm adding this to the lugnetcolors.inc file used by
Jeroen's Radiosity includes and updateing the color chart on LDraw.org.

You might want to visit Peeron (or Clark's color pages), there is more than one color
that fits your description.  Apologies if you grabbed the color name from those
pages.

I don't think it was pointed out yet that 375 was listed as rubber gray in the
ldconfig.ldr file in the 3002-02 update.  Between this and the web site, it doesn't
get much more official.

My basic thought is to select color codes for current metallics from the range of 64
to 96.  When possible, the codes can be mapped from the basic 16 colors by adding 64.
So one of the metallic silvers can be 7 + 64 = 71. Colors in the 64-96 range will
render in LDraw/LEdit as standard solid colors.  The way they are handled in other
programs depends on the individual program (but hopefully, any programs besides
LDraw/LEdit can be updated...).

Long-term, color codes should not carry any meaning as far as the 'type' of color.
They should just be values.  Any color code should be able to represent transparent,
or dithered, or textured colors (actually materials, not colors; but let's not go
there -- yet).

Steve