 CAD / Development / 7239
Re: The use of type 5 lines for smoothing of objects.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:00:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Martijn Zwaal writes:
I somewhat disagree with that. I do averaging at Dat file level and you can
see that it works for cylinders. There should be no difference between
connections of cylinder segments and sphere segments. If you inspect the 1/8
sphere primitive with ML-Cad you can see that the control points of the
optional lines are too far away form the primitive. If you extrapolate the
sphere those points should lie on the sphere. They should be the same as the
other control points but mirrored in the symmetry planes. You can also see
that there are 31 optional lines in the file, but there are 30 edges. The
11th and the 30th are on the same edge I think. So the primitive needs to be
fixed.

I guess I misunderstood your normal calculation.  I thought you were basing
it on the normals of the the faces, not the normals formed by the type 5
lines and their control points.  Using the control points makes sense,
except for one problem.

The problem is that the sphere primitive is actually correct.  There was a
discussion about it a couple of weeks ago (that I started), and it was
determined that the sphere primitive's current setup is correct:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7169

I also posted a summary in this post (which is hopefully intelligable):

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=3630

The reason the lines are like they are is that they produce a correct
silhouette when joined to more sphere segments, while also working when
joining a hemisphere to a cylinder.  One other fallout of this is that the
cylinder primitives will likely be updated.  (In fact, I believe that the
quarter cylinder already has been.)

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)