 CAD / Development / 7199
Re: The use of type 5 lines for smoothing of objects.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 16:28:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Martijn Zwaal writes:
I have a demo running now and it works. Things look smooth now without
primitive substitution. Everything with optional lines can be smoothed this
way. The only problem is that hollow parts of objects are not equipped with
optional lines. So in my demo the outside of a minifig hand is smooth but
the inside not. That is because the original idea of the optional line was
to draw a black line around an object. In the future optional lines may be
used to indicate where a model has a smooth edge.

One thing that someone noted (I think it was Don Heyse) when I mentioned
this was that it might be possible to instead check for the lack of type 2
lines of color 24 between two adjoining faces, and use this as an indicator
that the two faces should be smooth shaded.  This would solve the problem on
the inside of the minifig hand, but it may produce smooth shading in places
where it is undesirable.  Most of these could probably be avoided by having
a maximum difference in angle between the two faces.  On the other hand, I
think your algorithm would be MUCH easier to implement.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)