 CAD / Development / 6328
Re: terrain in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 02:28:29 GMT

I couldn't get the terrain in Falling Water to load in MLCad.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Mike Horvath writes:
I was wondering if you knew the pixel/stud ratio offhand.  This bit of
information might be useful for future reference.

1 pixel = 1 stud.  I used Jacob's utility to create the terrain for the CAD
scenes I did of Fallingwater:
http://lego.bldesign.org/?m=fallwtr
To make the scene, I colored in a topographical map of the landscape with
white as high and black as low.  I saved it as a low quality JPEG to add
some texture.  I colored another image to reflect the river/stone/vegetated
areas.  I think I used Paint Shop Pro to create the PGM files. I used both
images with the utility to create the DAT file (all very slow on a P166 with
16 MB of RAM)  I then used L2P to convert the DAT file to a POV scene.  I
replaced the 1x1x5 bricks with a box and a cylinder to speed up rendering.
Working with the utilities and computer speed available at the time, it was
a rather labor intensive project.
I was at Fallingwater (the real thing) this weekend, and looking back at
these renderings, I see how inaccurate the scenery (and some of the model)
is.  I took some photos (when I was allowed to) of the sides of the building
you never see in published photos, so maybe someday I can try again for a
more realistic model...and who knows, maybe then I can do it in gray, tan,
and brown instead of black, white, and red.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
http://bldesign.org/