 CAD / Development / 5418
Re: Seams like a problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:27:44 GMT

"Lars C. Hassing" <lch@ccieurope.com> wrote in message
news:G2AJD0.KAC@lugnet.com...
Travis Cobbs wrote...
Thanks for this info, Lars.  I'll be updating LDView prior to releasing • v1.0
to take these things into account.  I'm probably going to take rule 2 • and
recursively apply it up the line to verify that none of the ancestors • are
parts.  Does anybody see any problems with this?

Yes, I think it is unncessary. Why would you do that?

If you have a part which references a subpart which references another
subpart (not likely, true), you don't want to shrink either one of the
subparts.  However, my suggested solution is not a good way; you're right.
I wasn't setting the part flag on subparts, but this is probably wrong.  I
need to just not shrink subparts.  By setting them to be parts anyway,
though, only their parent part would have to be checked at the time of
shrinkage.  The trick is that I don't have a seamable flag which is separate
from my part flag.

Besides it would hurt performance. With the current scheme I set a
Seamable flag on LT1 references once during input. Then if seams
are turned on I can simply test the flag when traversing the tree.

I actually do all the seam-stuff as pre-processing (which is why it has to
reload the model when you change the value of the seam width in LDView).
I'll probably be changing this somewhat in the future, but not right now.

I'm a little confused here, though, because it seems to me that rule 2 • would
prevent the seams from appearing in subparts, as long as they are truly
that:  SUBparts (although sub-subparts would have problems with a
single-level check for your parent being a part).  If someone were to
reference a subpart directly, then seams would appear, of course.  I • think
the recursive check would prevent spurious seams for all subparts.  Am I
missing something here?

I'm not sure what you're aiming at. Can you give an example?

I think I was misunderstanding the situation.  I thought that it was being
reported that L3P/L3Lab were putting seams between subparts, when that
apparently only happens when you open the part directly, causing it to be
unaware that the top-level model is a part.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)