 CAD / Development / 5420
Re: Seams like a problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:15:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs writes:

I think I was misunderstanding the situation.  I thought that it was being
reported that L3P/L3Lab were putting seams between subparts, when that
apparently only happens when you open the part directly, causing it to be
unaware that the top-level model is a part.

  The first time I noticed it was while rendering in POV-ray a part for which
the .pov file was generated via L3P.  The part consisted of four identical
subparts meeting at (0,0,0).  I mirrored the subpart in the manner of
8-8sphe.dat, so that the single subpart was repeated four times.  When I
ran POV-ray, a seam appeared between each pair of subparts, though I don't
believe these seams were present in the DAT file itself, nor in the display of
L3Lab.  It's possible, as I mentioned elsewhere, that I haven't lined up the
subparts precisely, and, while the gap might be invisible in L3Lab, it shows
up clearly on POV-ray.
  I didn't have the chance to generate the .pov last night; I'll try again
tonight, as well as examining the DAT file to make sure alignment isn't a
factor.

   Dave!

(by the way, thanks for your help on my "gappy spheroids" problem; despite the
fact that I wasn't explaining my problem clearly, your explanation made me
realize what I was doing wrong!)