 CAD / Development / 5415
Re: Seams like a problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:46:58 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote..
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:

I'm a bit uncertain what you mean by SUBparts. I would call the
DAT files in PARTS for parts, and those in PARTS\S for subparts.

L3P/L3Lab does not make seams for subparts, as the seams will be
made for the part referencing the subpart. Also parts referenced
by other parts will not have seams (a right wing referencing a
mirrored left wing should not have seams twice).

  I noticed it during a little part authoring, in which I created a file in
\parts\s for a bit of the part that was repeated several times within the
part.  When I render the part in POV-ray via L3P, I notice seams between
instances of the subpart.

Well, I think you have struck a problem in L3P/L3Lab that I have been aware of
for quite a while! The problem is when you select a part from PARTS to
render/view. The model file (here the part) specified on the command line
is opened by a separate open call, and not by the general DAT file
search-and-open routine. Hence it is NOT detected that the model
(again the part) actually comes from PARTS. And so L3P generates
seams for references to DAT files in PARTS (your subpart).

In L3Lab I make the (fair) assumption that a model is certified
to be able to benefit from certified parts (the whole chain must
be certified for BFC to be used).
But when opening an uncertified part (as the model) and not detecting
that it is actually from PARTS, certification is erroneously assumed
and certified primitives will now erroneously be BFC'ed.

So. The solution would be to detect whether the opened model
is actually a part from PARTS. This is, I believe, not so easy:
1) If you are in MODELS and run "l3p ..\parts\3001", how do you
   detect that the 3001.dat is in the LDRAWDIR\PARTS ?
2) LDRAWDIR is set using 8+3 names, and the path to the selected
   model may use long names (L3Lab only)
If you have solutions to this, please let me know.
/Lars
PS. I just recalled the "Line in the Sand" discussions where I stated
my view about parts:
"All DAT files are equal, but some are more equal than others" :-)
(see http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3424)