 CAD / Development / 5118
5117  |  5119
Subject:
Texture mapping spec? (was Re: Doing Patterns and Bitmaps in MLCad)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:58:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Farlie A wrote:

OK,Revised Suggestion. (Still needs Further Disscussion)

[snip]

Urg.  Why so wordy?  Just do:

Sorry, Computing course at college showing through. (We were told try and
specify EVERYTHING. Unfotunatly there is no concrete defintion of what
EVREYTHING is.)

0 TEXTURE <position vector> <orientation matrix> <filename.type> [START
<standard ldraw commands go here>
0 TEXTURE END]

Agreed, but with the following questions? (Assuming simple rectangular texture
mapping for the moment.- doing it for ANY quad is slightly more complex.)

The <position vector> and <orientation matrix> parameters are identical to
the parameters on the standard subfile command (linetype 1).

Agreed,  I assume you mean the postion vector to be the centere of the image?

The orientation matrix I can understand but relying soley on this I feel would
limt the usefulness of the command.

The entire START ... 0 TEXTURE END segment is optional.  If someone is
making a custom file, they don't have to include any more code than is
necessary.

Agreed you dont need to check for START-END. You only need to check for proper
matching of TEXTURE-END pairs.

I am inclinded to agree with your suggestion above, but are they able to cope
with 'nested' textures such as those included by line type 1?
(I concede that this may be a browser rather than synstax issue..)

In a different post, Travis wrote:

This actually wouldn't be necessary.  Just put the DAT file which represents
the texture in between the TEXTURE START and TEXTURE END comments, and it
accomplishes the same thing without any compatibility issues.

That would work, but would require the use of a subfile for the pattern.
Which isn't the end of the world.

0 TEXTURE <filename.type> [START]
1 16 <position vector> <orientation matrix> <filename.dat>
0 TEXTURE END

An advantage of this approach is that existing tools (such as LDAO) can
still be used to edit (rotate, scale, inline) this code.

And you could update the texture used by chnaging the filename and not the
code. Much beter 'modularity' of *.DAT code (wich is a GOOD thing.)

Is there any reason that both syntaxes couldn't be supported?

BTW, none of this stuff will ever make it into the LDraw/LCAD parts
library, in the library's current form.  At some point in the future, I
hope we advance enough to require a new library, with parts that are no
longer compatible with the old LDraw/DAT standard.  But we aren't there
yet.

Such as the proposed Artemis format?

The main reason that this won't make it to the library is *not* the
meta-commands.  It is because we'd have to carry the extra image files in
the library.  The current (unwritten) spec does not allow non-DAT files to
exist in either the ldraw\p\ or ldraw\parts\ subdirectory trees.

Point taken but as noted in another post you could have a TEXTURES directory
of the L-Draw tree P or Parts directory. This of course might not be compatble
with the original L-draw/L-edit

Steve